Do you like those really nice door hangerswith witty sayings, photos or names that serve as a nameplate? If you are just going to use it at home, you do not really have to go to the point of going to a door hanger printing house. You can actually make your custom door hangers that speak about your style or express your creativity.
This is actually a nice activity if you are a stay at home mom and you would like to have a nice crafts activity with your child. Her involvement will be dependent upon her age, but even a toddler can already help with applying paste or handing you the papers and the like. As they grow older, they may be able to cut the papers themselves. Below is a guide on how to make name door hangers for all the rooms of the entire family
What you need:
2mm Sintra Board
Letter Cutouts from magazines
A picture of each family member
Glue or paste
Ribbons and other embellishments
Scissors and cutting knife
What to do:
1. Measure a 4.25″ x 11″ rectangle on the sintra board. Mark the corners and cut it out using a cutting knife. Make several of these, depending on how many door hangers you are going to create.
2. Wrap each rectangle with a piece of colored paper. You can have a different color for each door, depending on the favorite color of the person sleeping in it. Coat the entire surface of the sintra board with paste and stick the paper all around. Pat and press the paper so that it will be smooth. Let it dry. Repeat the process with the rest of the rectangles.
If you have a circle cutter, draw a circle shape about 3″ in diameter in the topmost portion of the rectangle. Using a circle cutter, die cut the circle shape. The hollow part can be used to hang your work on the door knob.
3. Get a photo of the family member to whom the door hanger is intended. Paste it on the rectangle about an inch under the circle. Paste some ribbons or florets on the side to make a border for the photo. Below it, use the letter cutouts to form the person’s name. For example, your sister’s name is “Cindy.” Form her name using those cutouts. Choose different colors and font styles from a colored and glossy magazine so that the word formed becomes interesting.
4. Add stickers to your design to make them interesting. For example, you may have those flower stickers or star shapes. Place them all over the blank space in the rectangle to make it look interesting.
5. You can also make a big bow so that you can stick this at the bottom of the hanger.
On the back side, you may stick more letters that say, “Do Not Disturb” so that they can also turn it around and tell people that they are sleeping or busy.
Door hangers are nice and usable crafts projects that you can do with your child. But if you come to think of it, you can also endeavor to make custom door hangers and give them away to friends during special occasions. You may also go to a door hanger printing house to do the job but it is much more fun to do it yourself.
For more information, you can visit this page on door hangers